The Aysgarth Society is amongst one of the first in the Circuit, originating in 1766. A cottage on the site of the present chapel was used for services until the present chapel was built in 1900 at a cost of £1,000. The chapel is a standing memorial to local craftsmen.
It is also a memorial to the old Wensleydale Circuit's most famous son — Sylvester Whitehead who, after entering the ministry in 1863, served for ten years as a missionary in China, and subsequently rose to become President of the Wesleyan Conference in 1904.
When the society moved into the new chapel it was forty-five strong. Today it is 13.